TROY, N.Y. – Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) junior quarterback Mike Hermann has been named the Liberty League Offensive Player of the Year, the league has announced. A three-time Offensive Performer of the Week who accounted for 81.9% of the team's offense, he was also selected to the All-Liberty League First Team.
In nine games, the Hardeeville, S.C., native completed 172 of 290 passes (59.3%) for 2,054 yards and 14 touchdowns. Hermann was intercepted eight times and had an efficiency rating of 129.22. He threw for 200+ yards in six games, including one for 299 yards and another for 310, and had at least one touchdown pass in eight games. He tossed multiple touchdown passes in four contests, including two with three scoring strikes. And there were five games in which he was not intercepted.
Hermann also led the team in rushing, gaining 648 yards with 15 touchdowns on 131 carries. He gained the most rushing yards in six games, including three in which he ran for 100+ yards and another with 99 yards. The Avon Old Farms graduate recorded at least one rushing touchdown in eight games, including runs of 62 and 59 yards, and had multiple touchdowns in five contests.
Voted a captain by his teammates each game, he led the Liberty League in both total offense per game (300.2 yards) and scoring (10.2 points per game). His 2,702 yards of total offense is fourth in school history for a single season.
Hermann's top individual game performances included:
• Rushing for 168 yards and a touchdown with 188 passing yards and three TDs against Castleton State
• Running for 69 yards and three touchdowns and throwing for 230 yards and a score at WPI
• Recording 110 yards rushing with two touchdowns and 218 yards passing and two scores against Rochester
• Having 99 yards rushing with three touchdowns and 216 yards passing with one TD vs. Utica
• Running for two touchdowns and throwing for 310 yards and a score at Union
• Throwing for 299 yards and three touchdowns in a win at #24 Hobart
• Rushing for 135 yards and two touchdowns with 229 yards passing against Merchant Marine
This is the second year-end honor for Hermann, who is 6-6, 240 pounds. He was an All-Liberty League Honorable Mention selection last season.
In three years as the starting quarterback, Hermann has led the Engineers to 15 victories, including four this season, and an ECAC Playoff appearance.