More news about: King-s

OCTOBER 12, 2013

WILKES-BARRE – King's College junior quarterback Tyler Hartranft completed 15-of-20 passes for 219 yards and three touchdowns and the Monarchs scored 21 third-quarter points in a 2:28 span to put together its most complete game of the season with a 52-21 victory over visiting FDU-Florham Saturday at McCarthy Stadium.

With its second straight win, King's improved to 2-3 overall and 2-2 in the Middle Atlantic Conference. FDU, meanwhile, fell to 1-4 and 0-4 in the MAC. The victory also enabled King's to snap a two-game losing streak to FDU.

King's scored on its second possession of the game but penalties nearly kept the Monarchs off the board. Two touchdowns on the drive were wiped out by holding penalties but the Monarchs managed a 27-yard field goal by Kevin Mulvihill to take a 3-0 lead with 4:21 left in the first quarter.

The Monarch defense would then force an FDU punt and King's benefitted from a low snap which resulted in a nine-yard punt, giving the Monarchs possession at the Devil 30. Six plays later Kyle McGrath scored on a 15-yard run and Mulvihill added the point after to give King's a 10-0 lead with 0:08 remaining in the opening quarter.

Midway through the second quarter the Monarchs took over at their own 20 following another FDU punt. A 12-yard pass from Hartranft to Dan Kempa and a 15-yard completion to Patrick Robinson helped move the ball to the Devil 10. Two plays later freshman tight end Jay Thomas scored his first collegiate touchdown on a six-yard throw from Hartranft. Mulvihill was good on the point-after as the King's lead grew to 17-0 with 5:28 to go in the half.

The King's defense forced another punt and the Monarchs took over at their own 37 with 3:53 left on the clock. After six plays advanced the ball to the FDU 41, Kempa found Robinson on a wheel route out of the backfield as the sophomore tailback got behind the Devil secondary to score on a 41-yard completion for his first collegiate score with 0:48 left in the first half. Mulvihill kicked the extra-point as King's took a 24-0 lead into the break.
King's dominated the first half of play, outgaining FDU 254-27 in total yards while amassing 14 first downs compared to just two for the Devils.

In the third quarter the bounces continued to go King's was as Peter Santorelli forced a Devil fumbled on the second play of the third quarter and Ben Ray recovered for the Monarchs at the FDU 35. On the next play Hartranft found Josh Sanders all alone down the left sideline for a King's touchdown. Mulvihill made good on the conversion as the lead grew to 31-0 just 0:53 into the third quarter.

On the Devils' next possession Ben Ray forced another fumble and the ball was scooped up by Garrett. The senior defensive end raced the final 22 yards to become the first Monarch ever to score defensive touchdowns in four straight games. Mulvihill added the point after as King's advantage swelled to 38-0 with 13:47 left in the third period.

King's defense would come up huge again on the next FDU possession when the Devils advanced to their own 46. On a third-and-six play, Michael Santos was picked off at the King's 49 by Monarch safety Anthony Martuccio who raced 51 yards to pay dirt. Mulvihill's extra-point kick pushed the score to 45-0, capping a 21-point assault over the first 2:28 of the second half.

The Devils would finally get on the board on their next possession when speedy sophomore tailback Craig Kimbro broke free for a 47-yard touchdown to cut the lead to 45-7 with 12:09 remaining in the third quarter.

FDU reached the end zone again early in the fourth quarter when Santos found Esaun Mobley down the left sideline for a 74-yard touchdown to bring the score to 45-14 with 13:42 left in the game.
With King's defensive reserves in the game, the Devils added another score midway through the fourth quarter when Santos hit Anthony Fruncillo near midfield and the FDU split end broke two tackles to complete a 72-yard touchdown passing play to cut the lead to 45-21 with 8:27 left in the game.

The Monarchs quickly answered when backup quarterback Tom Hehre engineered a four-play, 44-yard drive, scoring the game final touchdown himself on a 15-yard run, bringing the sore to 52-21 with 7:08 to play.

On King's last possession, the Monarchs marched to the Devil one-yard line with just under two minutes to play but the Monarchs chose to run out the clock rather than add another score.

King's amassed 454 yards of total offense in the game compared to 299 for FDU. King's had 24 first downs while the Devils had 10 in the game. The Monarchs also held a massive advantage in possession time, holding onto the ball for 40:04 compared to 19:56 for FDU. King's ran 71 total plays compared to 49 for FDU.

McGrath rushed for 100 yards on 22 carries, reaching the 100-yard plateau for the second straight game. Robinson had his best collegiate game at King's, rushing for 94 yards on 16 carries while catching four passes for 80 yards with one score.
Defensively the Monarchs forced four turnovers in the game. Ray had six tackles and a fumble recovery while Chad Curtice had five stops with two tackles for loss.  Santorelli had three tackles, including two forced fumbles.

FDU was paced by Kimbro who rushed for 86 yards on 12 carries while Santos completed 14-of-25 passes for 215 yards with two touchdowns and an interception.
King's will next travel to Owings Mills, Md. on Saturday to face host Stevenson University in a 1:00 p.m. matchup at Mustang Stadium. Stevenson was idle on Saturday.

Maintenance in progress.
Dec. 9: All times Eastern
Mount Union 43, at UW-Oshkosh 40
Box Score Recap Recap Photos
at Mary Hardin-Baylor 24, Brockport 0
Box Score Recap Photos
Dec. 15: All times Eastern
Mount Union 12, at Mary Hardin-Baylor 0
@ Salem, Va.
Video Box Score Recap Photos