Pa: Brody Hahn - 120
Ru: Bernard Johnson - 125
Rec: Darius Hayes-Carruth - 61
Pa: Tyler Perone - 95
Ru: Austin Wilson - 28
Rec: Aaron Jenkins - 55
Time of Poss.
More news about: Muskingum
The Muskingum football team registered its first season-opening home-shutout win since 1996 after blitzing Waynesburg 19-0 in McConagha Stadium on a wet Saturday afternoon.
- Records: Muskingum (1-0 overall), Waynesburg (1-0 overall)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio - McConagha Stadium
- Weather: 61 degrees, overcast and rain
- Attendance: 1,210
- Muskingum notched its first shutout to start a season since 2001 when the Muskies beat Mt. St. Joseph, 22-0.
- The win marked Muskingum's first season-opening home-shutout victory since 1996 when the Muskies beat Denison, 33-0.
How It Happened
- Muskingum struck first in the waning seconds of the first half on a two-yard touchdown run by freshman quarterback Brody Hahn. The score capped off a four-play, 58-yard drive. The touchdown was setup by a 43-yard catch and run by junior wide receiver Darius Hayes-Carruth from Hahn.
- The Muskies extended their lead to 10-0 at the 9:49 mark of the third quarter on freshman Austin Alice's 28-yard field goal. The score ended an 11-play, 48-yard drive.
- Alice added his second field goal of the contest late in the third quarter on a 27-yard boot to push the Muskie advantage to 13-0.
- Sophomore Bernard Johnson completed the scoring with a career-best 67-yard burst at the 7:41 point of the fourth quarter to give Muskingum a 19-0 lead. Johnson ended the game with a career-high 125 yards of 20 carries, with one score. He averaged 6.2 yards per tote.
Inside The Numbers
- Muskingum's defense held the Yellow Jackets to just 114 yards of offense on 71 plays. The Muskies forced two fumbles, notched two interceptions and recovered one fumble.
- Senior defensive end Chris Weck led the defensive effort with 10 stops, four tackles for loss for 16 yards and one sack. He also forced one fumble and had one interception.
- Junior linebacker Brandon Schon tallied eight tackles and 2.5 tackles for loss for 17 yards.
- Sophomore defensive back Trocon Keneah and senior linebacker Mick Fishel each logged seven stops. Fishel also recorded one sack and forced one fumble.
- Hahn ended his collegiate debut going 10-of-24 for 120 yards. He also added 48 yards on the ground with one score.
- Hayes-Carruth led the receivers with four grabs for 61 yards.
- Senior Damon Jones had two catches for 51 yards. He now stands at 994 career receiving yards.
- Muskigum's offense churned out 283 yards (156 passing/127 rushing) on 71 plays. The Muskies averaged 4.0 yards per play.
- Muskingum also ended the game with a 34:23-25:37 advantage in time of possession.
- Waynesburg was led by Tyler Perone who went 11-of-36 for 96 yards, with two interceptions.
- Austin Wilson led the Yellow Jacket rushers with 28 yards on 10 carries.
- Brent Blacharczyk logged a game-high 13 tackles to pace Waynesburg.
- Muskingum next travels to Ohio Athletic Conference foe Otterbein on Saturday, September 9. Game time is slated for 1:30 p.m.