Time of Poss.
SEWANEE, Tenn. — The No. 24 Berry College football team spoiled Sewanee's party under the lights in a 48-10 victory on Saturday night, setting a program record with 543 yards of total offense.
In the Tigers' first home night game in the school's 122-plus year history, Berry dominated both sides of the ball from start to finish. On the first play of the game, Mamadou Soumahoro beat his man around the edge and stripped Sewanee's Alex Darras for an eight yard sack. Sewanee fell on the ball and subsequently went three-and-out.
The Vikings offense opened the game with a five-play, 62-yard drive for a score to jump out to an early 7-0 lead behind a four-yard run from Austin Lowe. The Vikings would strike two more times before the end of the opening period with a touchdown reception by Trey Ciresi and a rushing score from Slade Dale to hold a 21-0 advantage.
Trey Gregory tacked on a 27-yard field goal before Mason Kinsey caught his eighth touchdown of the year on a 40-yard scamper to give Berry a 31-0 halftime advantage. Gregory tacked on a 30-yard field goal in the third before C.J. Stone capped off a 10-play 67-yard drive with a nine yard run to give Berry a 41-0 advantage.
Sewanee would score their first points of the game with 12:50 remaining from a field goal from Michael Jacobs. On Berry's next drive, Tate Adcock found freshman Tanner Ahmad for an 18-yard score to give Berry a 48-3 lead and Ahmad his first career touchdown reception. The Tigers would score once more on a 27-yard touchdown reception from Sam Hearn, but the Vikings returned to Mount Berry 48-10 victors.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Slade Dale: 274 total yds, 3 total TDs
- Austin Lowe: 16 att, 74 yds, TD
- Mason Kinsey: 8 rec, 122 yds, TD
- Trey Ciresi: 4 rec, 65 yds, TD
- Evan Breakspear: 8 tkls
- Mamadou Soumahoro: 6 tkls, 2 sacks, 2.5 tfl, 1 ff
- Derrell Mims: 5 tkls, INT
SEWANEE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Alex Darras: 12-22, 90 yds
- Mikey Plancher: 16 att, 49 yds
- Cyrus McCullough: 5 rec, 44 yds
- Lee Menefee: 10 tkls, 1.5 tfl
- John Cleveland: 8 tkls, 0.5 tfl
- Berry set a program record with 543 yards of offense
- Soumahoro is tied for the league-lead in sacks with six
- Berry collected five sacks as a team
- The Vikings improved to 6-0 and 4-0 in SAA play, extending their win streak to 11 straight games dating back to last year.
- Sewanee dropped to 2-4 overall and 1-3 in conference play.
AROUND THE SAA:
- Trinity downed Rhodes in overtime to improve to 4-1, 3-0.
- Hendrix defeated Birmingham-Southern 42-24 and now sit at 5-1, 3-1.
- Centre took care of Austin College 38-3 and sit at 4-1, 2-1.
- The Vikings will host Hendrix on Oct. 14th for a 2:00 p.m. kickoff.