Time of Poss.
UTICA, N.Y.—Utica scored the game's final 21 points to a pull away from visiting Buffalo State for a 34-12 victory in an Empire 8 game today at Charles A. Gaetano Stadium.
FINAL SCORE: Utica – 34, Utica - 12
LOCATION: Charles A. Gaetano Stadium - Utica, N.Y.
RECORDS: Utica (3-4/2-3), Buffalo State (4-3/1-3)
INSIDE THE BENGAL BOX SCORE
- Quarterback Kyle Hoppy (Orchard Park/Orchard Park) finished 13 of 28 for 273 yards and a touchdown. Kevin Torrillo (Amherst/Sweet Home) came in late in the game and was 3 of 6 for 25 yards.
- Ricky Bailey (Niagara Falls/Niagara Falls) was the Bengals' top target with six catches for 126 yards.
- Bart Mazzara (Lockport/Starpoint) led the Bengals on defense with eight tackles.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Nicodemus Gambill opened the scoring for Utica on the game's second play from scrimmage with a 73-yard scoring run.
- Buffalo State responded with a nine-play, 93-yard drive on its first possession, capped by a 7-yard scoring run by Antoine Holloman (Brooklyn/Abraham Lincoln). Buffalo State missed the extra point to make the score 7-6.
- A 74-yard punt return for a touchdown by Dan Kehrer later in the first quarter extended the Pioneers lead to 13-6.
- Neither team scored in the second quarter as Utica came close driving into Buffalo State territory before Trovis Clarke (Central Islip/Central Islip) forced a fumble that was recovered by Justin Pender (Brooklyn/Erasmus Hall) at the Bengals' 15 with 2:02 remaining.
- Buffalo State wasted no time getting things going in the second half as Hoppy connected with Stephen Johnson (Buffalo/McKinley) for a 75-yard touchdown on the very first play from scrimmage. The Bengals again missed the extra point try and continued to trail, 13-12.
- The Pioneers took control from there, however, adding three second-half touchdowns to close out the game's scoring. Malcolm Stowe scored on a 9-yard run, and then Tyree Powell caught a 6-yard scoring strike from Vinny Aloi, before Aloi scored the only points of the fourth quarter on a 44-yard scamper.
- Five of the Bengals' final six drives ended with a punt with the lone exception being a turnover on downs in the fourth quarter.
- Buffalo State finished with 388 total yards, compared to 330 by Utica.
- Utica finished with 11 tackles for loss, including five sacks.
- Buffalo State was penalized 16 times for 185 yards, compared to 10 flags for 103 yards on Utica.
FOR THE FOES
- Aloi was 9 of 16 for just 117 yards with a touchdown and ran for 75 yards on 11 attempts.
- Derrick Sekuterski had eight tackles for Utica, and Keanu Heedram added seven stops, including 1.5 sacks.
Buffalo State will return to Coyer Field for homecoming and the I-90 Bowl against Brockport at noon.