BUENA VISTA, VA. – William Paterson (0-9, 0-8 NJAC) owned a 3-0 lead until 1:17 remaining in the contest, but host Southern Virginia (3-6, 2-6 NJAC) scored a late touchdown for an 8-3 football victory Nov. 3.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- A 51-yard pass play from junior quarterback Cornelius Kinchen to classmate RaeQuawn Bridgeman helped set up a 25-yard field goal by freshman William Oertel, Jr., giving the Pioneers a 3-0 edge at the end of the game's first possession (11:38).
- The Knights got on the scoreboard on a 38-yard completion by freshman Tyler Callens to junior Josh Newman with 1:17 to play in the fourth. Following a delay of game penalty, Callens found freshman Parker Nash for the two-point conversion.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Kinchen went 15-for-23 for 157 yards and two interceptions. Junior Mike Yarosz was 3-for-16 for 15 yards.
- Sophomore running back Marcel Mason rushed 23 times for 60 yards, and Bridgeman caught three passes for 68 yards.
- Senior linebackers Charles Faulkner and Jonathan Jackson each collected nine tackles, while sophomore defensive back Ra'Keem Bennett added a fumble forced and recovered to his eight stops.
- Freshman Skylar Johnson finished 2-for-5 for 12 yards, and Callens completed his only attempt for a touchdown. Junior running back Akiva Wedge carried 24 times for 184 yards, and Newman hauled in two passes for 45 yards and a score.
- Sophomore linebacker Bishope Apodaca led the Knights with 13 tackles (4.5 TFL) and a fumble forced.
- The two teams combined for eight turnovers (SVU four fumbles lost, WP two fumbles lost and two interceptions).
- William Paterson celebrates Senior Day when the Pioneers host Montclair State Saturday, Nov. 10, at 1:00 p.m.
FOLLOW THE PIONEERS: