ASHLAND, Va. – The Yellow Jacket defense held the Blue Jays to 277 yards of total offense and 17 points as No. 6 Johns Hopkins registered a 17-12 season-opening victory over No. 24 Randolph-Macon on Thursday evening.
Score: No. 6 Johns Hopkins 17, No. 24 Randolph-Macon 12
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va. / Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 0-1, Johns Hopkins 1-0
How it Happened:
- R-MC took the opening kickoff and picked up one first down, but was forced to punt, pinning JHU at its own 14. The Blue Jays put together a 17-play scoring drive, going 86 yards in 8:31 to take a 7-0 lead.
- The Yellow Jackets eventually moved deep into JHU territory. Sophomore Colin Brooker (Lynchburg, Va./Heritage) snuck a 25-yard field goal over the cross bar with 4:36 remaining in the second quarter as the home team pulled with four at 7-3.
- The Blue Jays took the second half kickoff and turned it into a 30-yard field goal to push the lead back to seven at 10-3 with 11:43 remaining in the third period.
- R-MC responded as Brooker hit a 28-yard field goal to make it 10-6 midway through the third quarter.
- The Yellow Jackets were pinned in deep in their territory early in the fourth period when JHU snagged an interception and took over on the R-MC 7. The Blue Jays found the end zone two plays later to go up 17-6 with 13:50 remaining.
- Sophomore quarterback Andrew Ihle (Apex, N.C./Middle Creek) scored from four yards out with eight minutes left. The Yellow Jackets went for two and failed, making it 17-12.
- R-MC got the ball back two more times, but could not put it in the end zone.
By The Numbers
- R-MC outgained JHU 279-277 in total offense. The Yellow Jackets had 185 yards on the ground and 94 through the air.
- The Yellow Jacket defense held the Blue Jays to 17 points, less than in any of their 14 games in 2018. JHU put up 63 on R-MC in last year's season opener.
- Senior running back Tre Frederick (Angier, N.C./West Johnston) paced the R-MC running game, rushing 16 times for 62 yards. Senior quarterback Burke Estes (Wilmington, N.C./New Hanover) had 59 yards on the ground on 11 carries.
- Senior linebacker Bryan Sullivan (Boynton Beach, Fla./West Boca Raton) paced the defense with nine tackles, while senior safety Anthony Williams (Ashburn, Va./Woodgrove) added eight stops.
Randolph-Macon will head to Averett on Saturday, Sept. 14 for a 6 p.m. contest.