Alma, Mich. - Behind a powerful rushing game, the Alma College football team defeated Kalamazoo College, 30-10, on Saturday (Sept. 30) in the annual Homecoming game for the Scots at Bahlke Field.
Alma (3-1 overall, 1-0 Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association) racked up 364 yards rushing in the game and scored on runs of 75, 44 and 65 yards, building a 27-10 lead at halftime en route to their second straight home win. Senior Dylan Zaborowski (Jackson, Mich./Michigan Center) rushed for a career-high 167 yards and scored on a 75-yard run, while junior Caleb Reinhart (Montrose, Mich./Montrose) toted the ball 13 times for 147 yards and three scores, including two scoring runs of 40 yards or more.
Defensively, The Scots held the Hornets (0-4, 0-1 MIAA) to 205 yards of offense and recorded a pair of interceptions. Senior Colton Tyson (Vassar, Mich./Vassar) made 11 tackles, while senior Dustin Tripp (Byron Center, Mich./Hudsonville) posted 10 tackles, including three sacks.
How It Happened
- Alma scored the game's first touchdown with 8:39 to go in the first quarter when senior Dylan Zaborowski (Jackson, Mich./Michigan Center) ran for 75 yards into the endzone, putting them up 7-0.
- The Scots added another score less than two minutes later when junior Caleb Reinhart (Montrose, Mich./Montrose) rushed for 44 yards to increase the Scots' lead to 13-0.
- Kalamazoo got on the board on its next possession when Anthony Giovanni caught a nine-yard pass from Alex White to make the score 13-7.
- The Scots regained a 13-point lead when Reinhart scored his second touchdown of the game, running another 65 yards to score with 12:01 to play in the half.
- After the Hornets cur into Alma's lead with a field goal, Reinhart scored a third time, putting the Scots up by 17points with less than a minute left to play in the first half.
- Jacob Plisko connected on a 26-yard field goal with 7:32 left to play in the third quarter to give Alma a 30-10 lead.
- Caleb Reinhart posted fifth straight multi-touchdown game, and he also notched his third straight game with three rushing touchdowns.
- Reinhart posted his second straight 100-yard game and ripped off a career-long 65-yard run.
- Dylan Zaborowski became the third Scot in school history to throw for over 6,000 yards and rush for over 1,500 yards in his career.
- Zaborowski set a career high with 167 rushing yards, including a career-best 75-yard run.
- The win marked Alma's third straight against Kalamazoo.
- The Scots snapped a nine-game Homecoming game losing streak, posting their first victory since the 1007 campaign.
- Colin Smith and Max Kretzschmar recorded their first career interceptions.
- Dustin Tripp recorded a career-high three sacks and 4.5 tackles for loss.
Alma will open a three-game road trip next week, traveling to Holland, Mich., to face Hope College. After trips to Aurora University (IL) and Albion College, the Scots will return to Bahlke Field on October 28 to host Olivet College.