Time of Poss.
ROME, Ga. — The No. 22 Berry College football team opened the 2018 campaign with a dominant 38-3 victory over the Maryville College Scots on Saturday night at Valhalla Stadium.
With the win, Berry improved to 16-1 at Valhalla Stadium and 1-0 on the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- CJ Stone set the tone early, taking the opening kickoff 51 yards to the Maryville 43-yard line. With a shortened field, Berry was able to push forward and set up Trey Gregory for a 45-yard field goal early in the game.
- With a 3-0 lead, Berry forced a three-and-out on the Scots' first possession of the game. Maryville won the ball back and attempted a 44-yard field goal that sailed wide left.
- On the next possession, Tate Adcock found Michael Zhu for a 69-yard completion, putting Berry at the Scots' 5-yard line. Joey Connors would then punch in a touchdown to put Berry up 10-0.
- To open the second quarter, Tate Adcock found Mason Kinsey for a 36-yard touchdown, extending the lead to 17-0.
- Defensive stops kept the scoring quiet until midway through the third quarter. Maryville was able to push downfield and send a 21-yard field goal through the uprights to cut into the lead 17-3.
- Three drives later, Adcock connected with Kinsey again for a 46-yard score, pushing the lead to 24-3.
- With around seven minutes to play, Nelson Smith's pass was intercepted by Derrell Mims who took it 60-yards to score. Berry led 31-3.
- On Maryville's next possession, Smith's pass found the arms of Berry's Jordan Roman who took the interception to the Scots' 11-yard line. Isaiah Dawson would punch in a touchdown, extending the lead to 38-3.
- Tate Adcock: 20-33, 258 YDS, 2 TD
- Braden Jarvis: 9 ATT, 48 YDS
- Mason Kinsey: 3 REC, 93 YDS, 2 TD
- Derrell Mims: INT, TD
- Kevin Grier: 8 TKL, TFL
- Justus Edwards: 7 TKL, 0.5 TFL, BRUP
- A.M. Harris: 7 TKL, 0.5 SACK, 1.5 TFL
- Berry is now 16-1 in Valhalla Stadium
- Adcock had a career-high 258 passing yards
- The Vikings help Maryville to just 79 yards on the ground and the Scots were just four of 18 on third down.
- Berry will travel to LaGrange on Sept. 8 for a 6:00 p.m. kickoff.