Time of Poss.
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The No. 18 Berry College football team survived a back-and-forth battle at Rhodes College this afternoon, winning their first Southern Athletic Association (SAA) contest of the year 42-35.
With the victory, Berry improves to 3-0 on the year and 1-0 in conference play. The Vikings have also extended their winning streak to 18 regular-season games.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Berry jumped out to a 28-0 lead in a blink off scored from CJ Stone, TJ Watkins, Mason Kinsey and Joey Connors in the first quarter. That marked the most point Berry had scored in a single quarter since Nov. 5, 2016 when the Vikings put up 31 points in the second quarter against Birmingham-Southern.
- Rhodes got one back early in the second period off a 21-yard pass from PJ Settles.
- The Vikings then rolled to a 10-play, 55-yard scoring drive that was capped by Mason Kinsey's second score of the game. Berry led 35-7.
- The Lynx then rolled to three straight scores, cutting Berry's lead to 35-28.
- After a blocked punt, Berry's CJ Stone punched in his second score from 9-yards out to extend the Vikings' lead to 42-28.
- Berry's defense was unable to get off the field on the next drive, surrendering a 15-play, 81-yard scoring drive to give Rhodes life. The Vikings led 42-35.
- With a chance to go up by two scores with 2:35 remaining, Trey Gregory's field goal attempt was blocked, giving Rhodes a chance to tie it.
- On 4th and 10 from the Rhodes 43-yard line, PJ Settles was intercepted by Kevin Grier to give Berry back the ball with just over a minute remaining.
- Berry was forced to punt, but Settles was once again intercepted by Mark Sommerville to seal the Vikings' win.
- Tate Adcock: 7-15, 119 yds, 3 TDs
- Joey Connors: 11 att, 127 yds, TD
- CJ Stone: 11 att, 89 yds, 2 TDs
- Mason Kinsey: 4 rec, 35 yds, 2 TDs
- A.M. Harris: 7 tkl, 0.5 TFL
- Bryson Lamboy: 7 tkl, 1 SACK, 2.5 tfl
- TJ Watkins caught his first career touchdown pass
- Berry is now 3-0 for the third straight season
- The Vikings' 300 yards rushing is just four yards short of the program record
- The schedule gets no easier for Berry as they will head to Centre next Saturday for a 7:00 p.m. kickoff. Centre is also 3-0 and beat Hendrix today 45-6.
AROUND THE SAA:
- Centre defeated Hendrix today 45-6.
- Millsaps was victorious over Trinity 10-7.
- Sewanee beat Austin 28-20.