Time of Poss.
DANVILLE, Ky. — Winning their 19th-consecutive regular-season game would take everything the Vikings had in Danville, Ky. on Saturday night, as the No. 17 Berry College football team escaped with a 38-35 overtime victory over Centre to improve to 4-0 on the season.
Berry now sits at 2-0 in the Southern Athletic Association (SAA) joining Millsaps College as the only remaining undefeated team in the league. The win also evened the all-time series with the Centre Colonels at three games apiece.
The Vikings are now 5-1 in program history in overtime contests.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The offense wasted no time clicking, as Tate Adcock found TJ Ciresi for a 17-yard touchdown pass on the Vikings' opening possession. Berry led 7-0.
- On Centre's second possession of the game, Tanner Young fumbled the snap in the end zone. Berry's Randall Booker jumped on the loose ball for another Vikings touchdown. Berry took a 14-0 lead.
- Centre answered, stringing together an eight-play, 72-yard scoring drive. The Vikings' lead was cut to 14-7.
- The game was then tied in the second quarter. Centre's Tanner Young found Jordan Gunter on a 22-yard touchdown pass to cap a seven-play, 73-yard drive.
- On Berry's next possession, Heath Burchfield orchestrated a 12-play, 75-yard drive to go ahead 21-14 before the half. Joey Connors capped the drive, punching in a rushing score from one yard out.
- The Colonels' Trevor Carnell scored a four-yard touchdown run midway through the third quarter to even the game once more.
- For the first time in the game, Berry trailed just inside the start of the fourth quarter. Tanner Young found Davis Kannapell on a 19-yard touchdown pass to go ahead 28-21.
- Berry evened the game on the next drive. Helped by a 42-yard reception from Mason Kinsey, Berry was able to score behind Joey Connors and tie the game at 28 apiece.
- Mason Kinsey then caught a 23-yard touchdown to give Berry a 35-28 lead.
- Centre would answer to force overtime on the next possession.
- The Vikings received the ball first and Trey Gregory hit a 35-yard field goal to go up 38-35.
- Ben Logsdon of Centre had a chance to tie the game, but his 37-yard attempt sailed wide left.
- Tate Adcock: 11-19, 182 yds, 2 TDs
- CJ Stone: 13 att, 97 yds
- Joey Connors: 10 att, 36 yds, 2 TDs
- Mason Kinsey: 5 rec, 135 yds, TD
- Bryson Lamboy: 9 tkls
- Kevin Grier: 7 tkls, INT
- Alex Kirkendoll: 7 tkls, 0.5 sacks
AROUND THE SAA:
- Austin College 12, Hendrix 9
- Rhodes 29, BSC 10
- Millsaps 21, Sewanee 14
- Berry will host Austin College at home for their next SAA contest on Saturday, Sept. 29 at 2:00 p.m.