More news about: William Paterson
Sep 22, 2018
DOVER, DEL. – The William Paterson football team (0-3, 0-2 NJAC) fell at No. 7/7 Wesley (3-0, 2-0 NJAC), 43-7, Sept. 22.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Freshman Jerry Ward returned a kickoff 91 yards for a touchdown, getting the Pioneers on the scoreboard at the 3:40 mark of the fourth quarter (43-7).
- The Wolverines opened the scoring with a Khaaliq Burroughs two-yard run late in the first quarter (7-0, 1:35), then added a second-quarter Burroughs 19-yard pass to junior wide receiver Ruhann Peele (14-0, 14:54).
- Junior Nick Bruhn kicked a 22-yard field goal (17-0, 10:14), Burroughs found senior wide receiver Alex Kemp for a 33-yard touchdown (24-0, 7:03), and freshman Mike Brewer returned an interception 69 yards for a TD (3:30) for a 30-0 halftime Wesley advantage.
- Burroughs tossed a 31-yard touchdown to junior wide receiver Corterris Simpson at the 12:14 mark of the third quarter (37-0), and Bruhn converted fourth-quarter field goals of 26 (40-0, 12:48) and 35 (43-0, 3:53) yards.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Freshman William Oertel, Jr. punted 11 times for an average of 44.4 yards, including a 73-yarder that established a new school record (72 yards, Matthew Kenny, 2005).
- Ward's 91-yard play matched the second-longest kickoff return in Pioneer history (Jerome Alexander, 2013). The record of 102 yards by Derrick Foster in 1985 will never be broken at WP, as the NCAA no longer recognizes the yardage inside the end zone when recording kick returns.
- Junior quarterback Tracy Fudge, Jr. was 7-for-12 for 24 yards.
- Senior running back Kyle Fanning carried 14 times for 22 yards, and sophomore tight end William Frese caught two passes for 12 yards.
- Senior linebacker Charles Faulkner set a new career best with 17 tackles (seven solo, 2.0 TFL), while sophomore defensive back Ra'Keem Bennett matched his career high with 13 stops. Classmate Alex D'Angelo had his first double-digit tackles total with 12, and junior linebacker Corey Anthony finished with 10.
- Burroughs was 14-for-20 for 203 yards and three touchdowns. Junior E.J. Lee rushed 20 times for 79 yards, and Kemp caught six passes for 101 yards and a score. Junior strong safety Coray Williams collected a team-best six tackles for the Wolverines.
- William Paterson starts a two-game homestand Saturday, Sept. 29, against Salisbury at 1:00 p.m.
FOLLOW THE PIONEERS: