Time of Poss.
Final Score: Hartwick 14, St. John Fisher 42
Venue: Pittsford, NY – Growney Stadium
Records: Hartwick (2-4, 0-3 E8); St. John Fisher (1-4, 1-2 E8)
Recap: Hartwick had a tough time moving the football in the first half and couldn't dig itself out of a hole in the second as the St. John Fisher Cardinals defeated the Hawks 42-14 on Saturday at Growney Stadium. The Hawks were forced to punt on six of their opening seven possessions and were intercepted on the other in the first half. The hosts scored first on their second possession with 17 seconds remaining in the first quarter. They would add touchdowns on their final two possessions of the half for a 21-0 lead. The Hawks drove all the way down to the Fisher 4 and had second and goal on their last touch of the half, but a sack stopped any chance of first-half points and the Cardinals led by 21 at the break. Hartwick was intercepted on their first possession of the third quarter. After a long Fisher return, the Cardinals punched it into the end zone for a 28-0 lead. The Hartwick defense led to the team's first points in the middle of the quarter. Senior linebacker Chris Goudy's (Queensbury, NY/Queensbury) sack of Alejandro Utset and subsequent 29-yard fumble recovery for a touchdown put 'Wick on the board. Kevin Roberts' (Montgomery, NY/Valley Central) PAT made it 28-7. Fisher came right back to score on their next possession to extend the advantage to 28. Following a Hartwick fumble on the ensuing return, the Cardinals added another score 14 seconds later to make it 42-7. 'Wick would score on its final possession following a 9-play, 84-yard drive. Grant Harman (Liberty, NY/Liberty) threw to Kishaun Bell (Beacon, NY/Beacon) for a four-yard touchdown pass with 17 seconds left and Roberts' extra point closed out the scoring.
- The Hawks out-gained the Cardinals in the contest 330 yards to 308
- Hartwick finished the game with six turnovers. The Cardinals committed four.
- Harman completed 17-of-28 passes with two picks and a TD for 205 yards
- Bell had game-highs of eight receptions and 113 yards receiving with one score
- Rusty Virkler (Apalachin, NY/Vestal) caught four balls for 53 yards
- Josh Wilcox (Ithaca, NY/Candor) tied for a game-high with 11 tackles. He had 2.5 tackles for loss
- Mark Hackett (Hoosick Falls, NY/Hoosick Falls) had 10 hits and a TFL
- Tom Peabody (Hoosick Falls, NY/Hoosick Falls) collected eight tackles, a forced fumble, and both of Hartwick's interceptions on the day
- Goudy finished with eight hits to go along with his sack, forced fumble, and fumble recovery for a touchdown
Up Next: Hartwick hosts SUNY Cortland on Saturday, October 20 beginning at 1 p.m.