Time of Poss.
ROME, Ga. — The No. 12 Berry College football team survived a 28-21 overtime battle with the Millsaps College Majors on Saturday afternoon, preserving their unblemished record and inching closer to their third-straight Southern Athletic Association (SAA) title.
The win pushed Berry's winning stream to 23-straight regular-season games and 15-straight victories at Valhalla Stadium.
The Vikings are now 8-0 overall and 6-0 in the SAA. Berry needs just one more victory to secure their third consecutive SAA title and another trip to the NCAA playoffs.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Sporting the No. 1 defense in the SAA, Millsaps never allowed the Vikings to find much rhythm offensively. Berry would have to settle for a 47-yard field goal from Trey Gregory on their third possession to break the stalemate. The kick was a career-long for Gregory and gave Berry a 3-0 lead.
- Millsaps then scored early in the second quarter off a 10-yard touchdown pass from Chance Clowers to Ty Durham. The Majors led 7-3.
- Gregory would tack on another field goal before halftime, this time from 32-yard out to cut the lead to 7-6.
- On their second possession of the third quarter, the Majors found the end zone again off a Tyler Muse rushing score from 1-yard out. Millsaps led 14-6.
- Both defenses tightened up until halfway through the fourth. Chance Clowers fumbled the ball at the Majors 44-yard line before it was scooped up and returned for a touchdown by Berry's Bryson Lamboy. Tate Adcock found Mason Kinsey for a two-point conversion to tie the game at 14.
- Berry regained possession late and drove downfield to set up a 36-yard field goal from Trey Gregory. His kick would bounce off the left up right to send the game to overtime.
- The Majors scored first off an 18-yard pass to Austin Russell, but Berry answered courtesy of a rushing score from Adcock to push the score to 21-21.
- Joey Connors then scored to give Berry the 28-21 advantage and the Vikings defense would hold on the next possession to secure the win.
- Joey Connors: 25 att, 160 yds, TD
- Mason Kinsey: 8 rec, 56 yds, 2PT-Conv
- Bryson Lamboy: 7 tkl, FR, TD
- Derrell Mims: 6 tkl, 2 BRUP
- Connors' 160 rushing yards is the second-most by a Berry running back in a single game in program history.
- Berry hosts Birmingham-Southern on Saturday, Oct. 27 for Senior Day. If Berry wins that game, they will clinch their third-straight SAA title and another trip to the NCAA playoffs.