BUFFALO, N.Y.—Morrisville State forced four turnovers and jumped out to a 24-0 first-half lead before claiming a 38-14 victory over host Buffalo State in an Empire 8 game today at Coyer Field.
FINAL SCORE: Morrisville State - 38, Buffalo State - 14
LOCATION: Coyer Field - Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Morrisville State (5-3/4-2) Buffalo State (1-7/1-4)
INSIDE THE BENGAL BOX SCORE
- Starting quarterback Kevin Torrillo (Amherst/Sweet Home) finished the game 8 of 15 for 78 yards with two interceptions. All of his completions came after he was re-inserted in the game in the fourth quarter.
- Tony Maple (Buffalo/Burgard) was 8 of 22 for 70 yards with an interception and a fumble. He also had 40 rushing yards on 14 attempts.
- Martin Bailey (Buffalo/Kenmore West) led the Bengals on the ground with 20 carries for 59 yards and a touchdown.
- Jamar Rutledge (Buffalo/McKinley) led the receiving corps with 55 yards on five catches.
- Gino Bonagura (Lindenhurst/Lindenhurst) led the Bengals defense with 18 tackles, including 1.5 for loss.
- Devin Delmont (Blasdell/St. Francis) added nine tackles with one for loss.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Morrisville jumped out to a 21-0 lead in the first quarter after producing three interceptions on the Bengals' first five pass attempts.
- Two were pick-6's with Mike Bodnar opening the scoring with a 45-yard return and Sadeeq Nathanel taking one 52 yards to the house.
- The other interception set up a 5-yard scoring run by Kraig Gilbert.
- The Mustangs tacked on three more points with a 24-yard field goal by Zan Stewart for the only score of the second quarter.
- Jordan Evert (Amherst/Sweet Home) provided a spark for the Bengals midway through the third quarter when he knifed through and blocked a Morrisville punt and fell on the loose ball in the end zone to cut the deficit to 24-7.
- The Mustangs reclaimed the momentum, however, responding immediately with an eight-play, 72-yard drive capped by a 24-yard pass on a halfback option from Nick Edmond to Kyle Tuohy.
- Edmond added a fourth-quarter touchdown on a 49-yard run before Buffalo State completed the scoring five a 5-yard run by Bailey.
- Buffalo State finished with 263 total yards of offense, compared to 335 by Morrisville.
FOR THE FOES
- Edmond was the workhorse for Morrisville, piling up 136 yards on 24 carries and a touchdown. He also threw a pass for a touchdown.
- Brandon Gwinner was just 8 of 13 for 119 yards.
- Rob Heitzmann led the Mustangs defense with nine stops.
Buffalo State will wrap up its home schedule when it hosts Utica next Saturday at noon.