BUFFALO, N.Y.—Utica limited Buffalo State to 265 yards of total offense and forced five turnovers in a 36-3 victory in today's Empire 8 contest at Coyer Field.
FINAL SCORE: Utica - 36, Buffalo State - 3
LOCATION: Coyer Field - Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Utica (5-4/3-3) Buffalo State (1-8/1-5)
INSIDE THE BENGAL BOX SCORE
- Senior quarterback Kevin Torrillo (Amherst/Sweet Home) was 18 of 34 for 189 yards with two interceptions, while freshman Thomas Dupee (Brownville/General Brown) was 6 of 10 for 46 yards.
- Jordan Evert (Amherst/Sweet Home) was the leading receiver with six catches for 189 yards.
- Martin Bailey (Buffalo/Kenmore West) finished with 79 rushing yards on 22 carries and added three catches for 35 yards.
- Gino Bonagura (Lindenhurst/Lindenhurst) led the Bengals defense with nine tackles.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Buffalo State produced just three points off of four trips into the red zone for the game.
- Meanwhile, Utica converted five Bengal turnovers into 17 points
- Buffalo State assembled a 14-play, 61-yard drive on its second possession that ended with a 31-yard field goal by Justin Simoncelli (W. Seneca/W. Seneca East) to open the scoring.
- Utica drove into Bengals territory on the ensuing possession and had a first-and-goal from the 1, but the Bengals stood strong and eventually forced a turnover on downs.
- The Pioneers came up with an interception on the next possession and again were on the move before Elloheim Tucker (Bronx/Cardinal Spellman) came up with a diving interception on the 1-yard line to end the threat.
- Utica got itself on the scoreboard two plays later, however, on a John Nish sack of Torrillo in the end zone.
- Utica drove 69 yards in six plays after the free kick and took its first lead on a 3-yard touchdown catch by Peyton Miller from Logan Wilcox.
- The Pioneers tacked on a 19-yard Maki Medici field goal in the final minute of the first half to take a 12-3 lead into the intermission.
- Utica pulled away in the second half. Tim Hogan recovered a snap that sailed over Buffalo State's punter's head into the end zone and Imani Vincent reeled in a 41-yard scoring reception to push the score to 26-3 before the end of the third quarter.
- Medici added a 25-yard field goals and then Vincent caught his second touchdown pass from 36 yards out to complete the scoring.
FOR THE FOES
- Utica finished with 470 yards of total offense.
- Wilcox finished 14 of 30 for 276 yards with three touchdowns and one interception.
- Miller caught seven passes for 155 yards and the score.
- Malcolm Stowe carried the ball 24 times for 178 yards.
- Antonio Scala led the Pioneers with 15 tackles and had a sack and an interception.
Buffalo State will finish the season next Saturday at St. John Fisher at 1 p.m.