BUFFALO, N.Y.—Brockport piled up 556 total yards in the game and scored 28 points in the third quarter to pull away for a 55-22 victory over host Buffalo State today to retain the I-90 Bowl trophy for the fourth-consecutive year.
FINAL SCORE: Brockport - 55, Buffalo State – 22
LOCATION: Coyer Field – Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Brockport (2-1), Buffalo State (0-3)
INSIDE THE BENGAL BOX SCORE
- Senior quarterback Zak Ciezki (Cheektowaga/Cheektowaga) finished 26 of 43 for 278 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions.
- Jordan Evert (Amherst/Sweet Home) led Buffalo State with 11 catches for 157 yards and a touchdown.
- Gino Bonagura (Lindenhurst/Lindenhurst) led the Bengals' defense with 11 tackles, including a sack and had an interception.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bonagura stepped in front of a Freddy June pass and returned it 34 yards to the Brockport 6 early in the first quarter which led to a 29-yard field goal by Tommy Carr (Churchville/Churchville-Chili) to open the scoring for the Bengals.
- Brockport responded with a nine-play, 25-yard drive capped by a 25-yard scramble by June to put the Golden Eagles ahead 7-3.
- Brockport needed just one play on its first possession of the second quarter to extend the lead to 13-3 when June hit Imhotep Cromer with a 61-yard scoring strike.
- After an Andrew Covais interception just two plays later, Brockport converted the short field into a 2-yard touchdown reception again from June to Cromer.
- Buffalo State cut the deficit to 20-9 with a seven-play, 74-yard drive on its next possession, culminating with a 14-yard touchdown grab by Evert.
- Brockport blew the game open in a third quarter that featured 41 total points and a combined 17 enforced penalties for 159 yards.
- The Golden Eagles found the end zone twice in the first five minutes on a 52-yard scramble by June and a 7-yard run by Jala Coad.
- Buffalo State answered with a 50-yard scoring scamper by Myles McKinney (Rochester/Churchville-Chili), but Brockport was back on the board just 17 seconds later on an 81-yard bomb from June to DaQuan Hubbard.
- Buffalo State cut the gap to 41-22 with a 17-yard scoring pass from Ciezki to Angel Tamarez (Bronx/Cardinal Hayes).
- The Golden Eagles topped off the wild third quarter with a 12-yard touchdown run by Coad and then completed the scoring with just 14 seconds remaining in the fourth on a 24-yard run by Justin Morrison.
- Brockport finished with 556 yards of total offense, including 365 on the ground. Buffalo State had 344 yards of total offense.
- The Bengals also committed 14 penalties for 125 yards, compared to 18 for 175 by Brockport.
FOR THE FOES
- June was 6 of 12 for 191 yards with 149 of that coming on two long scoring plays. He had three touchdown passes and one interception and also had 100 rushing yards on seven attempts and two scores.
- Morrison finished with 102 yards on 15 carries and a score, and Coad had 98 yards on 11 carries with two touchdowns.
- Hubbard had just two catches for 106 yards.
Buffalo State will travel to Cortland next Saturday at noon