Top 10 finishes of the D3football.com era
Recounting the Top 10:
has PAT blocked, covers the onside kick, kicks field goal to win
9. Augustana answers a field goal with 29 seconds left with its own, from 54 yards
8. Augsburg drives 80 yards in 18 seconds to spoil St. John's homecoming
7. North Central sends Franklin home dejected on final play in 2007 playoffs
6. Triple-option team Maine Maritime passes its way to NEFC title
5. Wabash ends five-year drought with tip play in Monon Bell game
4. Central picks up blocked field goal and scores game-winning touchdown in OT
3. Bethel gets new life after Concordia-Moorhead runs onto the field early
2. Clock operator gives Bridgewater one last chance against Rowan in national semifinals
1. Trinity (Texas) uses 15 laterals to cover 60 yards and defeat Millsaps
Now, some more plays:
Oct. 5, 2002: Like the Miracle in the Mud, without the mud, a field goal attempt to win the game was blocked behind the line of scrimmage by Lycoming's Brian Bond. Mike deMarteleire, the holder for Widener, picked up the ball and in the process of being tackled for a loss, threw a shovel pass to wide receiver Bo Fischer, who ran into the end zone uncontested for the game-winning score.
Oct. 2, 1999: Mount Union prevails in an epic battle in which the Purple Raiders and John Carroll go to three overtimes before Mount Union finally has the defense to stop Tom Arth and the Blue Streaks, 56-51.
Nov. 28, 2009: Johns Hopkins picked up 14 yards in four seconds and had one tick left for Alex Lachman to come out and kick a 43-yard field goal to win the game at Thomas More in the second round of the playoffs.
Sept. 6, 2008: Needing a field goal to stay in the game, Catholic lined up for a 44-yard attempt in overtime at Shenandoah but faked it, with third-string quarterback Dan Jones hitting Sean Green for a 27-yard touchdown on a fourth-and-12. Catholic went on to finish 9-2 that season.
Nov. 13, 2010: Widener denies Delaware Valley a shot at a home playoff game with an 18-play, 70-yard drive, scoring a touchdown on the final play and adding the two-point conversion to win 28-27.